Saturday, March 28, 2009

Taco Soup

1 lb. ground beef (again, use 1 package of Morning Star Farms recipe crumbles for a vegetarian meal)

1/2 cup chopped onion

28-oz can whole tomatoes with juice

14-oz can kidney beans with juice

17-oz canned corn with juice

8-oz can tomato sauce

1 pkg. dry taco seasoning

1 to 2 cups of water

salt and pepper to taste

cheddar cheese

hard taco shells or corn chips

Disclaimer: I, of course, make this vegetarian. I also bought all low sodium items.

Brown beef and onions in skillet. Drain (when you use the vegetarian meat, there is no draining).

Combine all ingredients (except cheese and chips) in a slow cooker (although I made mine in a large stockpot).

Cover-cook on low for 4-6 hours (cooking it in a pot took about 20 minutes-I had the heat on high).

Ladle into bowls. Top with cheese and chips.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

How funny--my recipe is VERY similar. The only difference is that my recipe seems to be doubled, and I use both kidney and pinto beans, drained. I've also heard of using beef or vegetable broth instead of water.

So easy and yummy, isn't it? Taco Soup is one of my faves!